Recent Articles from Cassie Hanson
This summer, ethics took center stage in a conflict-of-interest row between Big Law and corporate behemoth Coca-Cola.
Ethics rules vary from state to state, creating a challenge for lawyers engaged in multijurisdictional practice.
Law firms should always review a client’s outside counsel guidelines in their entirety, regardless of how lengthy the document, as problematic language may lurk in unexpected areas.
During the past year and a half, the bar and public have witnessed unprecedented turmoil in Minnesota’s lawyer discipline system, which has also prompted intense media scrutiny.
This important, meaningful work is not without risk, as ethics issues centered around role confusion, competency and conflicts of interest can arise.
Every attorney must maintain books and recordsto comply with the applicable provisions of the MRPC.
Since the U.S. federal courts adopted e-filing in 2006, a growing number of foreign outsourcing providers have emerged to offer law firms the services of foreign lawyers to handle the most labor-intensive aspects of legal matters.
What steps can lawyers take to ensure their non-lawyer staff acts in compliance with their professional obligations when it comes to handling and accounting for client funds?
As language evolves, words are lost and gained. A word may fall into disuse and a dictionary will eventually label it archaic. The meaning of a word can also change through widespread misuse, which has been the case in the evolution of the nonrefundable retainer. Labeling a legal fee "nonrefundable" creates an inherent contradiction with the requirements of Rules 1.15(a) and 1.16(d), Minnesota Rul[...]
This summer, ethics took center stage in a conflict-of-interest row between Big Law and corporate behemoth Coca-Cola. As ethics counsel, I followed the developments with curiosity as the drama played out in unusually public fashion and was widely covered in legal news. The dispute highlighted the enforceability of advance waivers. For those unfamiliar, Paul Hastings ...
- Federal court rules brokerage firm breached 1994 contract
- Court denies revocation of adoption
- UnitedHealth suit alleges faulty AI led to denied claims
- Judge asked to block part of a North Dakota abortion law
- Court dismisses bias, retaliation lawsuit
- Joint-employer rule set to roil workplace — once again
- 8th Circuit rules private plaintiffs can’t sue under Voting Rights Act
- Commentary: Right-to-repair fight centers on data transmitted by newer cars
- Quandaries & Quagmires: Risky business and tips for managing the risk
- Perspectives: JFK assassination: 60 years of litigation here
- Perspectives: Lincoln’s memorable address recalls impact here
- The Unfrazzled Lawyer: Five benefits of becoming an unfrazzled lawyer