Douglas Loon sees the state's greatest potential for growth in the global marketplace.
The state didn’t finish at the top in any individual category, but was in the top 10 for infrastructure, economy, quality of life and education.
Tax bills from the House and Senate fizzled during the recent legislation session, casualties of a political firestorm that flared up mostly around transportation funding.
Despite the surface similarities, a number of new factors make 2015’s standoff different, and perhaps simpler, than the 2011 episode.
Lawmakers still can’t agree on DWI reforms and voting rights for felons.
An ambitious legislative agenda unravels as time runs out on the session.
The board agreed it was better to enact its own sales tax to be used within the county’s borders rather than contribute more to a metro-wide sales tax pool for transit projects.
Taxes and transportation remain sticking points as the House and Senate are effectively deadlocked on budget bill negotiations.
Observers are skeptical before political leaders convene at Lake Vermilion resort.
Neither liberals nor conservatives think it is a good idea to doom a government agency to failure before dime one is spent,yet that is exactly what the wholesale tax on gasoline is likely to do.
While some members choose to vote against their caucus out of protest or principle, others have strategic intent when they press the button.
From a nonpartisan perspective, the parties differ over two concepts: what is a surplus and what is an investment.
- LGBTQ+ group sues over Iowa book, discussion bans
- Justices uphold business tax bill
- Court to weigh social media and First Amendment
- Federal court rules brokerage firm breached 1994 contract
- Court denies revocation of adoption
- UnitedHealth suit alleges faulty AI led to denied claims
- Judge asked to block part of a North Dakota abortion law
- Court dismisses bias, retaliation lawsuit
- Quandaries & Quagmires: Risky business and tips for managing the risk
- Perspectives: JFK assassination: 60 years of litigation here
- Perspectives: Lincoln’s memorable address recalls impact here
- The Unfrazzled Lawyer: Five benefits of becoming an unfrazzled lawyer