Recent Articles from Drew Kerr
Controversial plans to build a $180 million wind farm in rural Goodhue County appear to be on life support. Minneapolis-based Xcel Energy has told the state’s Public Utilities Commission that it is “unable to wait any longer” and wants to break a 20-year power purchase agreement with New Era Wind Farm LLC, the developer behind the long-stalled 78-megawatt wind project.
Backers of state legislation that would allow cities to collect street fees call it an intuitive way to pay for long-term maintenance. Opponents call it a poorly disguised tax hike.
Every spring, truck drivers moving lumber in Mille Lacs County face an obstacle: The two-mile gravel road used to reach the Hawkins Sawmill has weight limits that force them to carry half-loads and fill up only after reaching pavement.
Minnesota regulators said Thursday that they wanted more time to consider a controversial plan to bring as many as 50 wind turbines to a rural corner of southeast Minnesota, a delay that opponents hope will ultimately scuttle the long-stalled project.
Three years ago, Minnesota put $25 million in bond proceeds toward passenger rail projects in the state, paying for renovations at St. Paul’s Union Depot, construction of the Interchange in Minneapolis and studies of lines to Duluth, Rochester and Chicago.
After years of state budget fights, transit supporters appear to have found an ally in Gov. Mark Dayton. Outlining his state budget proposal on Tuesday, Dayton backed a doubling of the 0.25 percent metro area sales tax, which proponents said would resolve operational shortfalls for existing bus and light rail transit lines, and accelerate construction of new transitways.
- Minnesota artists consider what’s next in AI copyrights
- Defining ‘and’ in sentencing statute falls to Supreme Court
- Hashtag rates higher libel protection
- Court: Performance issues, not bias, prompted union to fire organizer
- Robot milker case yields $122M
- 2023 Up & Coming Attorneys
- 2023 Unsung Legal Heroes
- Appeals court takes up transgender health coverage case
- Perspectives: Oral arguments at high court stir lively debates
- Quandaries & Quagmires: Advance waivers: Lessons from Paul Hastings vs. Coca Cola
- Perspectives: Recent cellphone ruling recalls high court cases
- The Unfrazzled Lawyer: Supercharge your unfrazzled lawyer efforts