The Archbishop of the Minneapolis and St. Paul Diocese will testify under oath about the swirling clergy sex abuse scandal, the Minnesota Court of Appeals said yesterday.
Chief Judge Edward Cleary denied the request made by the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis and the Diocese of Winona to block depositions of John Nienstedt and former vicar general Kevin McDonough.
The depositions will now take place April 16, said Jeff Anderson an attorney for the plaintiffs.
The Court of Appeals’ decision was part of a lawsuit brought by a man who claims he was sexually abused as a child by the Rev. Thomas Adamson in 1976 and 1977.
Church lawyers petitioned the Court of Appeals last month to grant an emergency order to block the depositions, ordered by Ramsey County Judge John Van de North. They argued the depositions aren’t relevant to the Adamson case and would be used by the victim’s attorneys as “a means of harassment, oppression and embarrassment to these witnesses, as well as for the purpose of self-promotion and negative publicity against The Archdiocese.”